A Home Away From Home


As much as I absolutely hate starting posts with the dreaded, "Hey guys I'm back," finding a balance has been really difficult lately. I hope you understand that posts here on Wanderlust Girl won't always be consistent, and that I really do try to photograph my best, schedule tweets, and get a well-written post up as often as I possibly can.

Quality over quantity, right?

For pretty much all my life I've been that one kid who seems to have their whole life planned out to the smallest detail- how the layout of my future home is going to look, what kind of decor that house is going to have, how many kids I want to have (or none at all!)...

I'm not going to lie, I still half-plan my future in my head sometimes! Whenever there's a really cute plant or floor lamp, I think, "That would be perfect in my future home."

Somebody please reassure me that I'm not the only one who does this, by telling me in the comments below! Let me know I'm not some crazy girl who has too much planned, haha.

But the one thing that was missing from this life 'plan' I had created for myself was the place. Where was I going to live? I knew that I didn't want to live in my home city, but somewhere else.

Last week, my family took a road trip down to Airdrie, which is just outside of Calgary in Alberta, and for a second I felt that feeling of home.

We had a tiramisu cake split in half, to celebrate our birthdays.
Live music at the authentic Italian restaurant in Airdrie.
In Airdrie, my uncle and aunt took me to one of their favourite restaurants. It wasn't a big place. You had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the red and white patterned tables which were decorated with freshly cut roses.

I've been there before, but something about this time felt so much more special.

Maybe it was the live music, the authentic Italian food, or the fact that the owner was actually Italian by blood! (my uncle knew him, which made being there even more personal).

Fine wines were served amoungst the antipasto, and by the end of the night, a tiramisu cake was split in half for both my sister and I. It was intended to celebrate both our birthdays, even though hers was early in April and mine is later in May. I still think it counted though, haha!

I smiled as I inhaled the bitter sweet aroma of my glass of wine, and began to wonder.

Maybe "home" isn't a place, but simply being with the people who you love and who inspire you the most.

So although I don't know exactly where I want to live just yet, I think as my road trips and travels go on, one day I'll find the place that just feels like a home away from home.

So what about you?

Have you ever felt that feeling of home, away from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Places You Can Find Me:

Back to Top