4 Tips For Winter Weather Photography


 It's pretty much winter now, and since the weather outside is horrible, so is the lighting! Like, guys. Here in Canada, you wouldn't expect it to get THIS dark and grey for days and days. It SUCKS. I think I've forgotten what the sun looks like, haha.

I've been attempting to take photos in what possible lighting there is left available, but the struggle is real- even if you have a professional camera!

There are a few tips I've been wanting to share with you, and I hope that this can help you in some way.

Subject is placed directly in front of a large window
Subject is placed under incandescent light.
#1- USE NATURAL LIGHTING or white soft boxes

Even though I just mentioned that I have barely any natural light available, I've got to use what I've got. Natural lighting makes such a difference when it comes to photography, and I can't stress getting closer to a window enough. For me, quality tends to be better (less grainy) and there aren't as many harsh shadows casted on the subject.

However if you do have white soft boxes handy, use those in aid of natural lighting- not just on their own. This way those horrible shadows are avoided from every angle!

#2- USE REFLECTORS

Reflectors have been a true lifesaver when it comes to low light photography, but they can be expensive for completing the one task you want it to do- reflect light. I DIY'd my own reflectors using square pieces of cardboard I cut out, and then wrapped and taped a sheet of tinfoil to it with the shiny side up. So if you don't have one, it's ridiculously easy to do and will save you a few dollars.

Position yourself facing away from your light source (in this case, a window is behind ME)
I was facing my light source (the window)
#3- POSITION  YOUR SUBJECT FACING AWAY FROM THE LIGHT SOURCE

In the top photo, my light source (the window) is behind me. This is a super important tip to take away- positioning makes such a difference, as you can tell! When you're facing away from the window, all that natural light can have the chance to illuminate your subject from every angle, and that you can get the brightest photo possible!

Subject is placed in front of a light coloured background
Subject is placed in front of a dark coloured background
#4- USE LIGHT COLOURED BACKGROUNDS

This one is totally up to you, and you can use a dark coloured background if that's what you'd prefer. However if there is limited light, you're going to want to use a light background. The white also acts as a reflector, so the light can bounce off it and brighten your photo even more.

Let me know which tips you found useful, and let's just hope that the sun will come out sometime soon!

Read all of 24 DAYS OF WANDERLUST GIRL (BLOGMAS) posts by clicking THIS LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other Places You Can Find Me:

Back to Top