Why We Shouldn't Compare Ourselves to Social Media's Idea of Perfection

The power of social media can be a bit overwhelming. I know it has been for me.

On any online platform, I see photos of people with countless Victoria's Secret bags, or selfies of people wearing a flawless face of makeup. Following these posts, I've seen comments saying, "Body goals" with 10 heart-eyed emojis, or things like, "She's perfect," "Why can't I look like that?".

I've seen photos of people in front of their mirrors in bikinis, with the caption saying, "I hate the way my stomach and legs look. I wish I could have a perfect ones like hers." But, when more and more people share that photo around, the same idea of wanting to change their body follows through. Also, I've seen things like this focused on brand-name outfits or expensive makeup products, too.

But then I thought; maybe if I bought those burgundy Vans, or if I wear that brand of foundation, that I'll look just as pretty.

But why are our goals focused on physical beauty and the quality of things we have?

Well, because social media is run by the people on it, it is WE who decide what is ideal and what is not. Numerous times, I've seen posts that say that you should love yourself for who you are, no matter what. It's definitely a nice thought to hear, but it's oh so difficult to really understand what it means. Especially when the digital world is mentally forcing us to fit in to this mould of how we should be.

Too many people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't even know.

It's like when I was little, there was this doll that I thought I needed to have. Everyone in school had it, showing it off like it was a diamond ring. I remember watching the ads on t.v, mesmerized by how you could draw on this doll, then wash it, and it would magically be brand new. I even remember trying to drop hints that this doll was the one and only thing I wanted.

Eventually, I ended up getting the doll for my birthday, but when I opened the packaging, it wasn't everything I hoped it was. It wasn't as soft as it seemed on t.v, and when you washed it, there was still a stain of colour. Even though I had it, I wasn't any happier than I was before.

That's what it's like to obsess over something, someone else has.

For example, if you're working out so that your waist looks similar to hers, stop. Work out because you want to feel healthier, and lose a few pounds along the way. Make efforts for your own personal gain, not for applause, or affection from people you don't even know.

To conclude, find something that makes you happy and stick to it, as what works for someone else, won't necessarily work for you. I think that social media's idea of perfection is just somebody else's idea of how things should be.

Have you ever been stuck in a situation like this?

I'd love to hear your side of things in the comments below :)

ps. Katy Belle (one of my fav bloggers) wrote a post oh so similar to this one. Go and give her some love! Her post: Instagram Is Killing My Self Esteem

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is so darling, I love the design! I really liked how you tackled this issue and social media can definitely make me feel negative, sometimes I need to take a break to ground myself and get back to my surroundings. It can be a scary place and feel like a bottomless pit sometimes! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The online world can be a real trap, if you get yourself stuck in it for too long. Glad you liked it! xx

      Delete
  2. I've also posted a similar topic about this. First was Social Media Tried To Kill Me and second was When You Label Love as a Valentine's edition since #relationshipgoals are everywhere. I just hope everyone of us wouldn't be poisoned of what social media platforms feed us. It's still up to us to make it as a big deal or not. I love this post. It made me more aware and go back to the things I should really focus on.

    Augustin Ra | Indie Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad something I wrote could help you in some way. The way you put it that social media is "poisoning" us is a great analogy! x

      Delete

Other Places You Can Find Me:

Back to Top