Can You Outgrow Your Best Friend?

Everyone has their friends, but there are also those 1 or 2 whom you can rely on no matter what. Friends forever right? Well, not always. Something has happened that I feel I need to share with you...

When I was little, I had this bright pink dress that I absolutely loved. It had all the Disney princesses on it, and a sheer cape in the back.

When I wore it, I remember feeling as if I was a princess, like I could do anything. I loved it so much that I kept wearing it even as the weather got colder. The second year I had it, it started getting tight- and it was really hard to take my arms out of the holes.

Soon enough, my mum told me I needed to get a new dress- I was heartbroken when I heard this! Although the new one didn't have princesses or neon pink cape, it was beautifully colour-blocked.

After a while, my old dress seemed kind of silly, and I felt as if it wasn't mine anymore.

At the moment, when I'm with one of my best friends, it's like we don't fit anymore.

She's kind of 2 faced. Sometimes she's nice, and we talk just like last year, but when she hangs out with her other friends, it's like she's a brand new person. When she's with them, everything she says is rude and immature.

At first I though it was because of myself or my close friends. Were we doing something wrong?

But then I realized maybe friends are a bit like clothes- when they start feeling uncomfortable, it's not because we did anything wrong. It's simply because we've outgrown them.

I've decided it's best not to try and squeeze yourself into a friendship where you know you don't fit. That I'm not going to let her try make me follow her around like a little puppy dog (she has enough "followers" already, haha).

I'll stick to the people who make me feel good about myself. You know who you are :)

What about you?

Have you ever been in a friendship you've outgrown?

I'd love to hear about it in the comments below...

12 comments:

  1. This is really good post and I feel like it's a topic that no-one really likes to talk about but I feel like at some point we all experience these sorts of friendships.

    Christina ♡ from Okay Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do hope that someone can take something away from posts like these. x

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful post. You made a great choice to move on and just accept the fact that maybe she isn't the best of friend for you anymore. People do tend to change, to better or to worse. I had experience something very similar a long time ago and I couldn't be happier about my decision to just remove that person from my life :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the thing is, I've also had the exact same thing happen to me with another girl 2 years back- I knew her since we were born. Things happen, and that's alright! And it's so nice to hear that you are happier now :)

      Delete
  3. This is a really creative insightful post very relatable! x http://nutellablogger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an unspoken thing, thank you for posting! Me and my current bestie are a prime example - over 10 years we've gone in completely opposite directions; she's now a mum and recently married, quite introvert and opts to stay in all of the time, whereas I'm very career driven, always doing something or seeing someone and generally never sat still. It makes it hard to maintain but it works. She grounds me and I motivate her!

    It was hard to accept at first but we discussed it quite openly and we fully understand now what's happened; it's part of growing up unfortunately but it's about making the most of it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear that you two have worked things out! And you are 100% right- it's all part of growing up. Thanks for sharing your experience with me! x

      Delete
  5. Very nice post !!! Its so nice of you to let go of her. People change by time. But we need to make a choice thats best for ourselves. Let me know if you wanto follow each other on bloglovin :) xx
    www.ambiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for giving my post a read! I've checked out your blog x

      Delete
  6. Love love love this! You've explained it so well xxx

    ReplyDelete

Other Places You Can Find Me:

Back to Top